Thursday, February 16, 2012

Ordinary Time 7

Today is the final Sunday of Winter Ordinary Time. Wednesday we begin the season of Lent. Lent already? Yes, another season of opportunity to grow in faith. Today, as we make our final preparations for Lent, the prophet Isaiah promises that God will wash away our offenses and remember our sins no more. Paul asserts that God has sealed us with the gift of the life-giving Spirit. Jesus, in forgiving the sins of the paralyzed man, bids us all “rise and walk” in newness of life. Looking forward to the “Lenten Spring” that will flower in the joy of Easter, may we humbly receive today both the challenge of God’s Word and the comfort of God’s generous pardon.

Preparation is crucial for a meaningful celebration. Advent prepares us for Christmas, Lent prepares us for Easter, and Mardi Gras prepares us for Lent. These alternating seasons of quiet and celebration help us notice and appreciate the fact that God is found not only in austerity and prayer but also in music and celebration. As a result, we experience the sustaining presence of God in every aspect of our lives. A good Mardi Gras will help us have a good Lent. A good Lent, in turn, ensures a spiritually rich Easter, which is the ultimate goal. So go ahead and celebrate Mardi Gras these days. Gather with your friends, enjoy some good food, for Wednesday we enter the desert.

Lent is an opportunity to grow in our faith. Spend some time in prayer with the insert in today’s bulletin to see where God may be calling you to participate through acts of prayer, fasting and almsgiving. Make Lent 2012 one of your best!

Dear Lord, as I make my Lenten journey with You, send me your Spirit, help me to give of myself, help me to turn away from sin, and help me to fast and pray, so that I may know You and serve You better. Let me be renewed through my journey to share your grace with the world. Amen.

Our Responsorial Psalm this week, "Lord, heal my soul, for I have sinned against you," reminds us that the Lord is generous to those who are humble.