Saturday, August 6, 2011

Ordinary Time 19

Three men are sinking in today’s readings: the discouraged Elijah is sinking into a cave on Mount Horeb, Paul is sinking into "great sorrow and constant anguish" as he grieves over his own people’s rejection of Jesus, and Peter is sinking into the sea as fear overtakes faith. In all three cases, God raises them up! We all have sinking moments when we are feeling "down": times of loss, fear, anxiety, discouragement, depression, (fill in the blank). By being one with Jesus, God will raise us up!

Here is a prayer you can use when you feel like you are sinking: Save me, God, for the waters have reached my neck. I have sunk into the mire of the deep where there is no foothold. Do not let the floodwaters overwhelm me, nor the deep swallow me, nor the mouth of the pit close over me. Answer me, Lord, in your generous love; in your great mercy turn to me. Amen.

Monday, August 15 is the Solemnity of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary. It is not a Holy Day of Obligation this year. I invite you to bring flowers, preferably from your garden, and place them in the Shrine to Mary in the Church next weekend. Vases will be provided.

Monday, August 8 is the Memorial of Saint Dominic, founder of the Dominicans. May we follow his advice to "practice charity in common, remain humble, and stay poor willingly."

Tuesday, August 9, is the Memorial of St. Theresa Benedicta of the Cross (Edith Stein). Even before the rise of Nazism, Theresa Benedicta, a Jewish convert to Catholicism who was gassed at Auschwitz in 1942, saw the cross as central in her own life. She said, "I understand the cross as the destiny of God’s people ... I felt that those who understood the cross of Christ would take it upon themselves on everybody’s behalf." My friends, how willing are we to take up the cross on behalf of others? What would we risk for the sake of what is right and just?

If you are interested in becoming a Lector, Minister of Holy Communion, Cantor or would like to join the Choir, please see me or contact me.